Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to understand charge sharing in charge pump of PLL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djallon

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VEK5RU]3Q121091MU3D2(YY.jpg
The circuit of charge pump is showed in the picture. What I am confused is that if there is not a unit gain opamp, voltage of node N1 and N2 would not change too much , so charge sharing is not terrible. But some papers realize charge pump with the unit gain opamp to reduce charge sharing. Why the circuit need unit gain opamp? And how the opamp reduce charge sharing? Plz help me to solve this problem. Thanks very much!

if there is not a unit gain opamp, voltage of node N1 and N2 would not change too much , so charge sharing is not terrible.
N1 and N2 are floating up to the supply rails minus current source saturation voltage, the parasitic charge transferred to the loop capacitor might be "terrible" enough, CS saturation possibly causes additional unwanted effects.

The operation of the suggested clamp circuit is simple enough, I'm sure you can figure it out (or re-read the citation explaining the figure).

See also https://www.ece.tamu.edu/~spalermo/ecen620/lecture11_ee620_charge_pumps.pdf

N1 and N2 are floating up to the supply rails minus current source saturation voltage, the parasitic charge transferred to the loop capacitor might be "terrible" enough, CS saturation possibly causes additional unwanted effects.

The operation of the suggested clamp circuit is simple enough, I'm sure you can figure it out (or re-read the citation explaining the figure).

See also https://www.ece.tamu.edu/~spalermo/ecen620/lecture11_ee620_charge_pumps.pdf
thank you very much! There is also parasitic charge transferred to the loop capacitor though there is unit gain amplifier.How to explain this?
Then, "CS saturation",what do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.