Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to test li-ion batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

narindia16

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends,

I am having some faulty Laptop Li-Ion batteries. I was willing to do some R&D of these batteries. I opened the batteries and found 6 Samsung cells inside that and a small piece of PCB (I think it is li-ion protection circuit).

I checked the specification of the cells on internet and found that it should be of 3.7V but when i removed one from the bank it was 4.1V. Then doing the same with each other cell, it was all 4.7V.

I want to ask you all, is there any machanisum that i can check which cell is faulty??? Normally voltage drops when cell becomes dead, but why these cells are giving higher voltage??

I want to know the way to check laptop battery and its cell....

Thanks
Narinder Pal

Hi,

This is quite straightforward. Those cells you refer to usually have a ma-hour rating printed on them. So, you discharge the cell thru' a known resistance and measure the time it took for the cell to get to a point where it would be considered 'flat (around 3 volts for this cell)'. This would give you the actual ma-hour rating of the cell, as against the manufacturer specified one (current drawn*time taken in hours).

Regards,

Anand

Added after 7 minutes:

Forgot to mention, the voltage readings you took seem to be without a load; these are bound to be misleading and not indicative of the health of the cell.

Regards,

Anand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back