Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start a project related to the GSM wireless system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

staraimm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I now do a project related with the GSM wireless system. But I have few knowledge about that. Can anybody give me some suggestion about how to start? Thanks a lot.

Re: How to begin?

staraimm said:
I now do a project related with the GSM wireless system. But I have few knowledge about that. Can anybody give me some suggestion about how to start? Thanks a lot.

first of all get some books which can give you complete details of GSM.
and also take help from net to get more detail.
then it will be easy for you to move towards your application.

all the best..

I found the book "RF system design transceiver for wireless communications". But the first chapter of the book already confused me. Too much formula and notation in the signal system. So I found another book "Communication Systems" to understand the fundamental of the signal system.

Am I on the right way to under the wireless communication system? Thanks a lot for reply.

Thank H_D_R for your reply. But I need more information about how to build a transceiver of the GSM signal. The documentation you listed tells me the basic information about the GSM protocol and application.

I read the attached leaflet which tells me a FPGA and DSP chip can be used to receive the GSM signal. I am interested in that and try to figure out how to build that kind of transceiver.

How to begin?

hi...
actuallly wat kind of GSM based pjt r u doin...
In any case, to communicate with a GSM modem(transmitter-receiver) you should be familiar with AT commands.

You should also know the structure of the GSM data ie where the sender no: comes ,where the receiver no: comes etc

Also if you are doin some with sms then, in most case you should convert a string data to PDU format and then send it to modem. So a knowledge of string to PDU conversion algorithm and vice-versa is imp:

the folllowing link will give you some idea about it.
**broken link removed**

geat1j, I do not want to communicate with the GSM moderm. I want to build a GSM moderm based on the FPGA and DSP chip. The AT commands or PDU format is the application level things based on the existed GSM moderm.

staraimm said:
geat1j, I do not want to communicate with the GSM moderm. I want to build a GSM moderm based on the FPGA and DSP chip. The AT commands or PDU format is the application level things based on the existed GSM moderm.

for that you need to search on google little bit specifically and in detail...

and you also need to clear some basics of GSM commuincation from thoery books..

i think, this would be better way for implementing new things.

Start by reading the GSM specs, I am attaching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.