Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate variable resistance load of Buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdavi81

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm doing a postdegree stage with ST Microelectronis. I have to make a dc-dc design to integrate in 0.35u tecnology. My dc-dc is a step-down buck converter. For the simulations I need to know how to simulate variable resistance load. I'm using cadence icfb with ELDO simulator.
Somebody Can help me for this scope. I already know how to realize a parametric analysis, but I don't want it. Instead, i want to simulate loads effect during a simulation and see the graph of Vout variation.

P.S Excuse me for my english, but I speak english a little bit only.

Thank you very much
Davide.

I guess you want to use transient analysis and determine average DC input/output values. In this case, I don't see other chances than a parametric analysis. The only problem is, that it doesn't directly produce a plot.

I don't belive that only parametric analysis have this type of simulation. Instead I belive there is a method to have a time dependence resistance value.
I have to do a R(t). It's impossible that the cadence or ELDO or SPICE haven't this issue.

You didn't yet talk about time variable resistor. That's in fact an option to get the intended plots. It's available by behavioral modelling with most SPICE-like simulators.

I am not familiar with ELDO but hope it would be similar as in PSpice. Time-variable resistance can be simulated via controlled source. For example, here is the PSpice code of time-varying resistance R(t)=1k+100*sin(2*pi*1k*t), connected between nodes n1 and n2:
Eres n1 n2 value={(1k+100*sin(2*pi*1k*time))*I(Eres)}
This method is based on the fact that aresistor with the resistance R can be replaced by a voltage source with the voltage V=RI, with I is being current flowing through the resistor.
For modeling the time dependence of the resistance, you can use arbitrary mathematical functions which are provided by the simulator. I guess that for your case you would need step function for modeling a response of buck converter to jumply changed load resistance.
Similar approach can be also used for R(t) modeling via controlled current source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back