Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate a adc,such as a sigma-delta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdy83

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the circuit simulation, input a sin wave and calculate the snr of the output.But this snr must be ideal, that is SQNR. How to get the real SNR of a adc?
Does it need to add a noise in the input or on the supply?and how ?
For a sigma-delta adc, how to get the DR? Except the snr and dr, what else would be simulated?

thanks

It's hard to include random noise in SPICE simulation.
But you can try verilog-a/ams for evaluating their impact on ADC performance.

usually we calculate the KT/C noise and some other noise of Opamp manually, then add it to the SQNR to get the SNR.
Yes, you can add some verilog-a noise source at the input, but the value of this noise is still calculated manually. So it may not similar to the real chip test. Besides this, KT/C noise is usually much larger than the quantization noise, so if add KT/C noise, you will not see the noise shaping in the low frequency, this is not good for you to estimate the performance of the ADC.

I have write some verilog-a code to generate the white noise in transient analysis. But I have not added this noise source into my ADC design.I hope, it may help you somehow.

when simulating in Simulink,i had considered the kt/c noise and other noise. but in the circuit simulation, how can i get the real snr? need to add some noise on the sinusoidal input ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back