Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to set grid size and time step for dispersive media

Status
Not open for further replies.

gell

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rsoft fdtd

Recently, I'm using Rsoft's FDTD to simulate some dispersive media, that is, n+ki. I find when k is very large, suppose, 2+11i, the FDTD will scater. So I want to make sense of the grid size and time step. So far, I define grid size and time step based on lossless media, that is, grid size<lambda/10, time step<grid size/2. For dispersive media, is there any change for time step or grid size? Is there any rule for this? Could anyone help me? Many thanks.

The wavelength varies nonlinearly in dispersive media. You have to consider the longest lambda which can appear in your simulation, in determing the grid size and time step.

I think is not the longest wavelength, but the shortest wavelength in your pulse.

I read that in this case when dispersion occurs, the step size should be very small. But I don't know how small...... Also struggling about the settings similarly.

I have another question though, could you guys get normalized spectrum in the FFT output of the monitor? I always have troubles there……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back