Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce the pop/click noise in class-ab audio amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachel607

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
could you give me any suggestion according to your structrue?

My old Heathkit AA-1800 power amp (about 500W/ch RMS into 8 ohms) uses good-old-fashioned mechanical relays in the speaker outputs. A small control circuit closes the relays after the +/- 100V rails have stabilized, and quickly opens the relays at power-off or if significant DC offset is detected. It's a DC-coupled design, except for the input capacitor.

echo47 said:
My old Heathkit AA-1800 power amp (about 500W/ch RMS into 8 ohms) uses good-old-fashioned mechanical relays in the speaker outputs. A small control circuit closes the relays after the +/- 100V rails have stabilized, and quickly opens the relays at power-off or if significant DC offset is detected. It's a DC-coupled design, except for the input capacitor.

Thank you for your reply.
You mean the relays reduce the transient change at the output, don't you? Is the output an AC-coupled one? What is the level of pop/click noise in your amp?

The relays simply disconnect the speakers during power-up and power-down, so the amp's electrical transients never reach the speakers. There's no audible pop/click from the speakers. However, the relays emit a mechanical "click" from inside the amplifier box.

The amp is DC-coupled, except for the input capacitor.

That's an old-fashioned technique. Maybe someone else can suggest an electronic technique.

OK, I see. Thank you for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back