Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect DC Motor from overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiconductor

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you recommend me some solution and circuit diagram to protect DC Motor (Small one - about 100W) from overload.

Thank you in advance!

You should monitor the motor current (e.g. using hall effect sensor or sensing resistor).

Other option is to implement a current limit circuit.
Attached is an example.
For smaller loads it will be "invisible" and will only act when the current riches Imax (set by a resistor).

how do you control the motor??if it has connected to dc voltage directly you can use a serially connected relay and a control circuit monitoring the motor current.
if you are using pwm method same thing al so possible here. you will need an AND gate and flip flop...........

semiconductor said:
Can you recommend me some solution and circuit diagram to protect DC Motor (Small one - about 100W) from overload.

Thank you in advance!

In general i think that one bimetal will be answer on your question ... 100W it can be similar like fan ... and fan have bimetal "on" coil ... Its simplest, cheapest and very easy to implement ...

with my best wishies .. bye!

It can be controlled by the use of a freewheeling diode which is done in POWER ELECTRONICS. By this DC,AC motors and transformers can be controleed from overloads.

Regards
drdolittle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back