Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to over come dv/dt effect on IGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nareshgtr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dv/dt

Dear Friends,
I am new to the power electronics. I designed 3-phase bridge using SGP23n60UFD IGBTs, FAN3788 used as driver circuit. Due to dv/dt the lower IGBT is turning on (shoot through). The IGBTs going bad. How to over come dv/dt effect.
Regards
V. Naresh Kumar

dv/dt parasitic inductance

I use a schematic(resistor + transistor in emitter), wich turn off the transistor than current becomes big.

overcome dt

I have no personal experience with the said FAN7388 driver, but according to the specification, it should be able to operate the IGBTs safely without additonal precautions.

How do you know, that shoot through is actually damaging the IGBTs? Are you able to measure the IGBT currents? I would rather expect a problem of overvoltages caused by parasitic inductances and inappropriate wiring.

why dv/dt in power electronics

Hi nareshgtr,

you can try putting a low value resistor (just a few ohms) in the gate of the upper IGBT, in order to slow its turn on.

Another option : choose a driver that gives lower current to the gate of the IGBT.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.