Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make the oscillation signal swing from -5 v to 5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

njxia

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to generate a 10MHz oscillation signal with its amplitude swinging from -5 v to +5v. I want to use a crystal oscillator to create the 10 MHz signal. However I find the typical voltage swing for the crystal oscillator signal is single signed, i.e. from 0 v to 3.3 v. Could you suggest a solution how I can make the swing from -5v to 5v? What devices that I could use? Thanks in advance.

You don't have to supply your crystal oscillator with 3V - 0V. You could supply the crystal oscillator with +5V - 5V. If that's to much supply voltage for your oscillator you could regulate it using positive and negative voltage regulators.

njxia said:
I want to generate a 10MHz oscillation signal with its amplitude swinging from -5 v to +5v. I want to use a crystal oscillator to create the 10 MHz signal. However I find the typical voltage swing for the crystal oscillator signal is single signed, i.e. from 0 v to 3.3 v. Could you suggest a solution how I can make the swing from -5v to 5v? What devices that I could use? Thanks in advance.

What are the requirements?
* circuit topology (BJT, FET, opamp) ?
* Supply voltag(es) ?
* Waveform?

The signal waveform will be a square wave. Its rise time and fall time are expected to be about 5ns. The supply voltage can be 5v. The whole system design is PCB level design, so the topology is flexible.

Hi,
I would take a usual CMOS/Clk oscillator, and shift the signal with an RRIO-OpAmp...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.