Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make car ignition coil light a fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyngweekiat_85

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
car ignition coil

Have anyone used this before to generated spark? I am doing something sort of like lighter. Have to light a fire using a car ignition coil. I never use an ignition coil and 1st time to deal with power circuit as ussual i only do digital low power circuits. I use the cicuit from here,

h++p://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/coildrv.htm

i wanted to do a sparkgap for it to light up the things. something like this,

------------ a
|
g
a
p
|
------------- b

where do i connect to the terminal in the spark gap?

---|+
-------|HV
---|-

where do i connect the 2 lead? +,_ or HV?

Mind the draiwng... bad in drawing...
hope someone can help me. And hope also post in the right subgroup(analog circuit) :p

Re: car ignition coil

You can switch the coil with a simple ignition IGBT (need Heatsink)

Re: car ignition coil

dannyngweekiat_85 said:
Have anyone used this before to generated spark? I am doing something sort of like lighter. Have to light a fire using a car ignition coil. I never use an ignition coil and 1st time to deal with power circuit as ussual i only do digital low power circuits. I use the cicuit from here,

h++p://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/coildrv.htm

i wanted to do a sparkgap for it to light up the things. something like this,

------------ a
|
g
a
p
|
------------- b

where do i connect to the terminal in the spark gap?

---|+
-------|HV
---|-

where do i connect the 2 lead? +,_ or HV?

Mind the draiwng... bad in drawing...
hope someone can help me. And hope also post in the right subgroup(analog circuit) :p

For spark gap, connect one terminal to ground, one to HV terminal of ignition coil.
For ignition coil, connect HV terminal to spark gap. + to +battery, - to one terminal of a switch (like a pair of contact, transistor, ...), one terminal of the switch connects to ground. - battery connects to ground.

Be careful to make good and reliable connections.
nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.