Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the number of RS232 available on a microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoren_tm

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any scheme on how increase the number of RS232 available on a micro controller? like multiplexing.... pls suggest any IC to use

EXTEND RS232

what kind of multiplexing you need ?? HW or SW ???
like through SW you can use any PIC IO port as serial port ..... but 1 at a time

EXTEND RS232

For multiple HW RS232 multiplexing use external multiplexer.

Re: EXTEND RS232

Hi,
If your Micro has sufficient idle time bit banging can be used. Otherwise you have to interface UART Chips along with RS232 drivers.

Regards,
Laktronics

drbizzarow said:
what kind of multiplexing you need ?? HW or SW ???
like through SW you can use any PIC IO port as serial port ..... but 1 at a time
what is HW and SW? anyway ill be using 8051 micro

Added after 2 minutes:

MAK-1 said:
For multiple HW RS232 multiplexing use external multiplexer.
external? what do you mean by that? i was thinking og multiplesing my UART or maybe tru 232 signal. im asking if this is efficient.

Added after 2 minutes:

amol_shah said:
i think its not a good application
this is quite a tedious process and puts too much load the Micro controller processing.
and its by software....maybe it would be easy if ill let the hardware do it/

Added after 1 minutes:

laktronics said:
Hi,
If your Micro has sufficient idle time bit banging can be used. Otherwise you have to interface UART Chips along with RS232 drivers.

Regards,
Laktronics
didnt get your point..about RS232..?? im thinking of MAX232, it just convert the TTL to RS232 signal.

Added after 2 minutes:

AH!! what i mean on my post is to virtually increase my UART.

EXTEND RS232

HW=hardware and SW=software by the if u r using 8051 controller then forget SW option :)

EXTEND RS232

a single uart can be up to 16 by using mux/demux like CD4067, additional pins are required for addressing

penoy_balut said:
a single uart can be up to 16 by using mux/demux like CD4067, additional pins are required for addressing
yah as i mention earlier..but did you try using it?(theoriticaly it will work)

Software UART can be done on 8051. In fact the boolean processor makes this very efficient. The other alternative is to use a multi drop network such as rs485

davidgrm said:
Software UART can be done on 8051. In fact the boolean processor makes this very efficient. The other alternative is to use a multi drop network such as rs485
i think your making it complicated..pls explain

Not sure which of my two suggestions is making it more complicated. You have not stated exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to communicate between a lot of micro's you can use rs485. This will allow distances of over a kilometre. You can connect many systems together on an rs485 network and it is fairly simple to use.
My comment about the 8051 was just in response to drbizzarow's comment regarding 8051. The 8051 has a hardware uart and can support quite a few soft uarts. Atmel have an app note which has 8 soft uarts plus a hardware uart all working simultaneously at 9600 baud.

**broken link removed**

...but is better to choose a controller with 4 UARTs for example...
//a

davidgrm said:
Not sure which of my two suggestions is making it more complicated. You have not stated exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to communicate between a lot of micro's you can use rs485. This will allow distances of over a kilometre. You can connect many systems together on an rs485 network and it is fairly simple to use.
My comment about the 8051 was just in response to drbizzarow's comment regarding 8051. The 8051 has a hardware uart and can support quite a few soft uarts. Atmel have an app note which has 8 soft uarts plus a hardware uart all working simultaneously at 9600 baud.
can you show me the application note?
anyway...want i want is..to communicate to many micro usig UART...as an example a multiplexer...distanvce is just a common application for rs232/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back