Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to identified this diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsanthosh67

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a board with problem. I need to know a specification of a diode which is present in the board it doesn't mention any part number. But i tested the diode with multimeter,there is no response.How to identified the part number of the diode.Here i attached the image of the component.Please anyone find it and give me a feedback.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/7141715000_1453454090.png

The image of diode you attached is seems like zener diode. because most of the glass filled components are zener diode except some like 1N4148. if it is zener diode, then it can be identified by applying reverse bias through a resistor and give the voltage until you observe zener behaviour.

Hi,

since there is no print on the device it is hard to say.
More helpful is the schematic - if you have -, a photo of the PCB and of course a short description of the circuit.

Now we have to guess:
My answer: It´s from a dimming module and the device is a diac. Don´t ask why - i don´t know.

Klaus

My answer: It´s from a dimming module and the device is a diac. Don´t ask why - i don´t know.
That's one of the possible cases where the part would show no "response" in diode test. (Presumed you mean open circuit, next you may want to report your results clearer, isn't it?).

Actually it must not even be a diode, I have e.g. silicon PTC temperature sensors in same package. Guessing the device function and possible specification from thorough circuit analysis is the only option, or measuring a known healthy device.

Could be a zener but a higher power one :)
In this package and with thicker terminals, can be also a PIN diode used for switching RF path in power amplifiers.

Also, if you bought from AliBaba, could be a empty package. I recently bought some integrated circuits "brand new old stock" from chinese and surprise :)
There was just packages, hundreds of Mohms in btw all pins, no die inside (!@#$%^&*).

:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.