Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to get an autonomous robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sultan.al3lama

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
i have a project that to build an autonomous robot that could scan all over an area
what the algorithm that may help me
could anyone guide me or give me some hits
regards,

Sultan.Al3lama,

You will have to provide more details of what it is you want.

First of all what do you want the robot to do, physicaly move all over the area using a simple sensor like a microswitch to map out the area. Or some kind of scanning electromacnetic system that "views" the area.

Sultan.Al3lama,

You will have to provide more details of what it is you want.

First of all what do you want the robot to do, physicaly move all over the area using a simple sensor like a microswitch to map out the area. Or some kind of scanning electromacnetic system that "views" the area.

hi sir
thank you very much for your answer
the robot should scan an area to find any obstacle or metal thing and mark them on the map
for more details
send me your email and i will explain to you more information
regards,

Sultan,

Ill assume that the robot uses some kind of non touch system.

The first thing you have to do is devise a way by which the robot knows very accuratly (about 1/16 of smallest object or map grid size) where it is and more importantly will be able to reestablish this after only one or two movments otherwise your map will end up meaningless.

The robot has some basic choices of how to establish what is there,

The first is to transmit a directional beam and note the angle at which it gets a reflected return signal, then move an accuratly known distance and transmit the beam again and triangulate the information this is a standard survaying technique "along a base line" the longer the base line (upto the actual distance to the object) the more acurate the measurment (the ideal is to have an equalateral triangle).

The second way to do it is to transmit a directional pulse and time the return time this is the way a conventional radar works. There are modifications to this method using things like JPL ranging codes to get an offset time.

There is another way which is to just transmit a pulse and time the echo and do this continuously as you move and use both the distance traveled and change of distance measured information to work out where the nearest distance and direction is.

You can also use a combined effect such as taking two radar maps a known distance and direction appart and overlaying them with a stereo mapping system similar to that used by the brains of many creatures.

However as I said iy is very important to maintain an acurate knowledge of where the robot is relative to previous measurments or a fixed marker such that the measurment errors drop out in the calcultations.

hi sir
my robot will scan the area using the ultrasonic to avoid the obstacle
it will scan the area by dividing the area into small areas
but how i can code this algorithm in order to perform what i want
regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.