Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find materials/books to explain sub-circuit examples for SPICE

s55

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I took the circuit design classes, and then I also intensively studied the circuit design on my own, using the books, "Fundamentals of Microelectronics" and "design of analog CMOS integrated circuits" by Razavi.

Now, I would like to learn about circuits discussed in each chapter, by designing a couple of different examples of the circuits. For example, if I studied the common-source amp in the chapter 7, then I would like to follow a couple of different examples for the CS amp, and also to learn how each resistor/capacitor/W over L of mos values used in the example can be determined based on the numerical derivation or even qualitative explanation.

The above CS amp is just an example for my question. I would like to do so for each sub-circuits, e.g., biasing circuit, cascade stage, current mirror, active load, and so on. (For reference, I prefer to use the Cadence tool for the spice, because I have the simulators are available for my study)

Unfortunately, there are no such examples in the book I studied, and I also briefly reviewed the following two books as well, but there are few examples but not many. (please correct me if I'm wrong...)
- Jacob Baker, "CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation
- Phillip E. Allen, "CMOS Analog Circuit Design"

Isn't there any way to figure out my problem?

Finding materials or books to explain sub-circuit examples for SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) can greatly aid in understanding the intricacies of circuit simulation and design. Here are some resources you can explore:

1. Textbooks on SPICE:
    • SPICE for Power Electronics and Electric Power by Muhammad H. Rashid: This book provides a comprehensive introduction to SPICE simulation techniques specifically tailored for power electronics and electric power systems.
    • SPICE for Circuits and Electronics Using PSpice by Muhammad H. Rashid: This book covers the fundamentals of SPICE simulation with a focus on PSpice, a popular SPICE-based simulation tool.
    • The SPICE Book by Andrei Vladimirescu: This classic text provides a thorough overview of SPICE and its applications, including detailed discussions on sub-circuit modeling.
  2. Online Tutorials and Documentation:
    • Many SPICE software packages, such as LTspice, PSpice, and ngspice, provide extensive documentation and tutorials on their respective websites. These resources often include examples and explanations of sub-circuit usage.
    • Online forums and communities dedicated to SPICE simulation, such as the LTspice Yahoo Group or the EDAboard forum, often have discussions and tutorials on sub-circuit modeling and implementation.
  3. University Course Materials:
    • Course materials from universities offering courses in circuit simulation or electronic design often include examples and exercises on SPICE sub-circuit modeling. You can search for syllabi, lecture notes, and lab manuals online.
  4. Technical Papers and Journals:
    • Technical papers and articles published in journals such as IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems and the IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits often include detailed descriptions of SPICE sub-circuit implementations and applications.
  5. Books on Analog Circuit Design:
    • Books focusing on analog circuit design often include discussions on SPICE simulation and sub-circuit modeling as integral parts of the design process. Examples include Analog Integrated Circuit Design by David A. Johns and Kenneth W. Martin, and Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits by Behzad Razavi.
  6. Open Source Resources:
    • Open-source SPICE simulators such as ngspice often have open-access documentation and example libraries, which can be valuable resources for learning about sub-circuit modeling.
By exploring these resources, you can gain a deeper understanding of SPICE simulation techniques, including the use of sub-circuits, and enhance your proficiency in electronic circuit design and analysis.

In my experience you will rarely (not often) find anyone
willing to explain every element's contribution or action
in detail.

It will be necessary for you to develop methods of "taking
it apart" and "injecting stimuli" (changing values, removing
an element while keeping the circuit "pretty much functional"
and so on), self-learning by observing response to such
"stimuli". Just as you might with a mechanical object in need
of repair, or wanting simplified.

There is no Yoda. Still, "Do. Or do not".

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back