Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to enter drawing from data file in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stavio

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, I am looking for help to arrive has introduced a file in HFSS to design an antenna. I am waiting for help to learn how to enter a drawing is not regular (square, rectangle ... etc)

What format is the drawing? I believe HFSS will import ACIS, DXFs, and I seem to remember that it will do STL as well

I think you can just import any cad drawing into HFSS by going to the Modeler tab and choose import. I know for sure you can import dxf files.

HFSS will import many CAD formats. If your design is in a format HFSS can't import, looking online will often find you a program which converts to a format HFSS can import.

Beware, however, that HFSS designs using imported files are sometimes much larger (file and memory size) and thus much slower to simulate than designs made from scratch in HFSS. So if possible, it can be better to input the design by hand, or else using the matlab-hfss API (google it, it's very useful).

shlomo22 said:
HFSS will import many CAD formats. If your design is in a format HFSS can't import, looking online will often find you a program which converts to a format HFSS can import.

Beware, however, that HFSS designs using imported files are sometimes much larger (file and memory size) and thus much slower to simulate than designs made from scratch in HFSS. So if possible, it can be better to input the design by hand, or else using the matlab-hfss API (google it, it's very useful).

you have an idea on the size (memory) of data imported by using HFSS?

Added after 1 minutes:

AndyECE said:
What format is the drawing? I believe HFSS will import ACIS, DXFs, and I seem to remember that it will do STL as well

it is .tab (X, y) table

Memory size depends on the design complexity, obviously. Relatively speaking, I think I remember that one of my imported designs was 10-20 times bigger (disk size, but that's correlated with memory size) than the equivalent design made by hand. Results may vary (perhaps drastically) though.

stavio

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
kosolson2005 said:
I think you can just import any cad drawing into HFSS by going to the Modeler tab and choose import. I know for sure you can import dxf files.

my problem is how to introduce the point X, Y in HFSS to the drawing? If I do my drawing on AutoCAD what can I doeing to read my model in HFSS and to complete my antenna

my problem is how to introduce the point X, Y in HFSS to the drawing? If I do my drawing on AutoCAD what can I doeing to read my model in HFSS and to complete my antenna

Added after 12 minutes:

I am waiting for help !!!!!!!!!!!

I assume HFSS can't import ".tab (X, y)" data. I would use matlab-hfss API to write an HFSS file based on the data. You have to know how to use matlab of course.

stavio

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
shlomo22 said:
I assume HFSS can't import ".tab (X, y)" data. I would use matlab-hfss API to write an HFSS file based on the data. You have to know how to use matlab of course.

You can make a HFSS script to read and import the data? if you can help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back