Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine R at base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledragon

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Determine R

Any formula to determine R at base

Re: Determine R

It seems that the LED is placed in wrong direction. Please tell me what is the marked part in your circuit:

like leotim said you have to reverse the connections of the LED for the circuit to work

to calculate R:

from your diagram

beta = 100
IC = Iled = 100mA
beta = Ic / Ib

to find R first we need to find Ib

Ib = Ic / beta
Ib = 100mA / 100 = 1mA
Usually Vbe of NPN = 0.65
so Vr = 5 - 0.65 = 4.35V
R = V / I = 4.35 / 1mA = 4350

A 4.7K will do....

leotim said:
It seems that the LED is placed in wrong direction. Please tell me what is the marked part in your circuit:

Logic And Gate( operate as mixer )

The 38 does not allow the LED to have 100mA current. If we suppose the voltage across the LED to be about 2 volts (it is probably more) and the transistor saturation voltage to be 0.2 volts, then remains 5-2-0.2=2.8 V for 38 Ohms resistor. so it can pass 2.8/38=73.7 mA current at most.

You must decrease this resistor (use 27 Ohms).

leotim said:
The 38 does not allow the LED to have 100mA current. If we suppose the voltage across the LED to be about 2 volts (it is probably more) and the transistor saturation voltage to be 0.2 volts, then remains 5-2-0.2=2.8 V for 38 Ohms resistor. so it can pass 2.8/38=73.7 mA current at most.

You must decrease this resistor (use 27 Ohms).

Actually, the circuit is apply for IR transmitting and valid light LED.
I though Vdrop = Vcc - Vled = 5 - 1.2 = 3.8
then R=vdrop/Iled= 3.8 /100m =38 ohms?

Added after 6 minutes:

tajrin said:
like leotim said you have to reverse the connections of the LED for the circuit to work

to calculate R:

from your diagram

beta = 100
IC = Iled = 100mA
beta = Ic / Ib

to find R first we need to find Ib

Ib = Ic / beta
Ib = 100mA / 100 = 1mA
Usually Vbe of NPN = 0.65
so Vr = 5 - 0.65 = 4.35V
R = V / I = 4.35 / 1mA = 4350

A 4.7K will do....

But i trying use multisim to simulate the circuit.
R below 4k, the Transistor is working and above 4k( doesn't work).

By now, the LED current is limited by 38Ohms resistor (what ever R value be). so you should just choose an R value to turn the transistor ON. your AND gate may have an iutput curren limit. if so it is not needed to use any R, place a wire (short circuit) instead of R. If you prefer to use an R (to limit the AND gate output current) you can use simply a value much less that what tajrin have calculated (4350 Ohms), for example use a 1KOhms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back