Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a Bandpass Filter using A FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeSpirit

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
its central frequecy is 4.2MHz Bandwidth 0.5MHz
stopband> 4.6MHz ;<3.8MHz
Passband ripple : 1dB
Minmum stopband attenuation:40dB

FreeSpirit said:

the easiest way is to use MatlabR14 hdl coder. It generates a code for instance for Xilinx FPGAs. What you need do include in your specs is the sampling frequency. Let's see, maybe I can send you the code!

My teacher haven`t told me the sampling frequency.
assuming it is 20MHz

can u send me the code??

thanks
my mail box is iamanewone@hotmail.com

You can also use the DSP Builder. It generates the code for instance to Altera FPGAs.

Um if someone sends u this code how will you learn. Do it yourself you may learn something.

FreeSpirit said:

You can find the code in the book "Digital signal process with FPGA" with Mayer.

will u use xilinx or altera fpga ???
altera has good applicatin note with flex10k for filter designing....
i think for very first step, use matlab filter designtool. give ur spec. generate coefficient and quitze them......

fir codes are available easily( VHDL and Verilog) u can use VHDL Synthesis by K C CHang .. code is there... and fetch coefficient(quantized) from FPGA RAM. u will get filtered output.

in atlera site also fir code is there with scripting code also....

dewdrop said:
You can also use the DSP Builder. It generates the code for instance to @ltera FPGAs.

Is it a commercial software? How good is it for modulator/demodulator designs?

Also, the books listed above: VHDL synthesis by KC Chang and Digital signal process w/ FPGA by Mayer, do they have any code examples, tips and advices on modulators designs, particularly in VHDL.

Thanks

Ya KC Chang has code of FIR with very simple to some complex design... clock tree and synthesis is also added with the FIR design.. I think its good book for FIR...

What about using Digital Filter Analyzer (DFA) from digitalfilter.com? It can generate VHDL for simulated filter design. Coefficients are stored in a ROM table and intermediate multiplication results are stored in RAM block.. then summed.

I had a question for anyone who had used it before. How is it compared to Matlab R14 filter design toolbox mentioned above? I might have access to it as well.

I've studied the code generated by DFA. It's pretty good and understandable. However, when I've tried to map it for Spartan 2 (Target Device : x2s200 Target Package : pq208), it gave me the following errors:
Number of 4 input LUTs: 4,995 out of 4,704 106% (OVERMAPPED)
Number of occupied Slices: 2,675 out of 2,352 113% (OVERMAPPED)

Do filters really take so much space? Should I somehow simplify the code or use another device like Virtex with larger gate count? I suspect that ROM size in the design is unnecessary large (stores 16 coefficients taking 16/400 spaces). Also, maybe I could do something with multipliers, maybe use distributed arithmetic instead of using '*' function of IEEE.STD_LOGIC_ARITH.ALL library.

Does Matlab generates more compact design?

Thanks a lot in advance

I am designing a fir filter using FPGA.
I have completed vhdl code,but it doesn't work when I programmed it into device.
anyone can give a advice about hardware design by FPGA?

ONEoverT will give you a very efficient filter...code is readable and understandable. I've bought it and think it is great software. Unfortunately, it only runs on Windoze...no Linux version

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.