Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to define GBW for opamp?Is that equal to the unit gain bandwidth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superleaf

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
who can tell me the definition of GBW for opamp?please help.

who can tell me the definition of GBW for opamp?please help.

The definition is as the abbreviation says:
Gain-Bandwidth-Product=Open loop gain (at DC)*Bandwidth (3-dB) .

Only in case of universal frequency compensation the product GBW is identical to the transit frequency (unity gain bandwidth) - because of a constant slope of -20 dB/Dec.

GBW is a product of Gain and Bandwidth of the Op-Amp. You can find it in the respective Op-Amp datasheet Elecstrical Specification section. Also you can find it in the graphical view Gain Vs Frequency.

Thank you for your answer,however,I still a little wonder how to measure the quality of the opamp,with the GBW or unity gain bandwidth?
The definition is as the abbreviation says:
Gain-Bandwidth-Product=Open loop gain (at DC)*Bandwidth (3-dB) .

Only in case of universal frequency compensation the product GBW is identical to the transit frequency (unity gain bandwidth) - because of a constant slope of -20 dB/Dec.

The answer is simple and logical: For a universal-compensated opamp it does not matter (both measurements give the same result). This is the case for most of the opamp types.
Otherwise (for uncompensated types) it makes sense to measure/specify both: GBW and the transit frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back