Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to creat a solid irregular 3D object in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anglerep

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
autocad, hfss

Hi,
I'm using HFSS 9.0. I couldn't figure out how to creat a solid object that has irregular shape? I can draw polyline, but it's "hollow" inside. Any advice is appreciated.

Ang[/b]

how to extrude 3d poly to solid

Hi!

If you can use Autocad, draw it in Autocad and export use acisout function. After that use import function in HFSS.

BG,

Eddie

autocad draw 3d object

create a closed polyline
use the command Cover surface
that should convert the polyline to closed surface and the sweep
the surface this should produce the solid .

SL

calculate irregular solids autocad

Secondalinea :
Thanks for your response. Can you please explain in a little more detail about how to do it? Right now I can build a "hollow" closed polyline, as your instruction I will use cover faces command to cover all the faces. What do you mean about "the sweep"? Because from what I am understanding, I just made a closed surface, for example, like I just built a house with a bulding material for walls. But inside the walls it's still "hollow", it's only air. I cannot define the material inside the house the same as wall material. Back to HFSS, I still cannot make "solid" object.

Ang

Added after 4 minutes:

huang77:
Thans for your reply. At this stage I don't know how to make 3D object in Autocad. I only have a 2D drawing in autocad. Is it difficult to change it to 3D?

Ang.

polyline hfss

What do you mean by irregular? Is it a geometry that cannot be made by extruding or rotating a surface?

create solid polyline hfss

Zappa:
I meant irregular only because I cannot use the draw function (box, cylinder, cone...) to draw the shape that I have in the structure. I will upload the image of it. It's a 2D drawing, I want to have this shape with certain thickness so that it would be a 3D solid object that I can define a material to it (for example, aluminum).

Thanks,
Ang.

68_1158345838.JPG

Added after 1 hours 10 minutes:

Hi, everyone:
I think I solve the problem by using sweep function and creat a path to define the thickness of the object.

Thank you for your kindly help!

Ang.

hfss creat object from two faces

I haven't been able to figure out how to extrude a planar surface in HFSS myself so I used a CAD program to draw the 3-D extruded geometry, export as *.sat file, and then import it in HFSS. This worked for me. I don't have AutoCAD so I don't know how to extrude a surface in AutoCAD. You should be able to find out how to by searching for 'extrude' in help menu or manual. Try it.

import objects from hfss to autocad

Hi,
Even though my question this time is not related to the topic, I still put my question in this thread because of the thought of continuity.
My question now is: how do I define the ground plane for the structure shown above. Two blue regions need to be defined as ground. From HFSS I only see an "infinited ground plane" option, But my structure is not infinite, is it safe to use this option?

Thanks,

Ang

como fazer um solid inregular autocad

First draw the closed irregular shape, and then extrude it. Then draw the white shape portion and extrude it again, then extract the white portion out. Then build inside portion (same way as the other two), then move it inside (when move it, make sure put the ordinate system on the irregular portion, otherwise they will not on the same plane). Now I have trouble how to import into HFSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back