Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how to convert analog output voltage (3V to 5V and 4.6V to 5V) to (0V to 5V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxima_diesel

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I just wanted to convert the output voltage of the circuit I have made to a wider range of 0V to 5V. I would need this output to be analog, so the output shouldnt be 0V. OR 5V. I have two circuits, the first one's output range is 4.6V to 5V and the second has a range of 3V to 5V. How would you change those output to 0V to 5V?. Thanks a lot in advance.

The easiest way is to use a comparator.
Set the 'comparison' voltage somewhere close to the middle of the input voltages and the output will swing from one logic level to the other (typically 0 to 5V) as the input exceeds it.

Brian.

The easiest way is to use a comparator.
Set the 'comparison' voltage somewhere close to the middle of the input voltages and the output will swing from one logic level to the other (typically 0 to 5V) as the input exceeds it.

Brian.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply, Im just wondering if using a comparator setup like u described would have the analog voltage output that I would want, so the range is 0V to 5V instead of an output of (logic low)0V and (logic high)5V? Do you have any other suggestions? thanks in advance.

You would need a DC level shifter. Have you searched on this?

I think you can implement it with an opamp.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

You would need a DC level shifter. Have you searched on this?

I think you can implement it with an opamp.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Thank you very much for your reply Tahmid. Do I implement a DC level shifter using a difference amplifier? Is it ok if you can elaborate on what sort of op amp setup i should be using/looking for?

thanks a lot again.

You may try to use a summing amplifier circuit based upon the standard Inverting Operational Amplifier configuration that can be used for combining multiple inputs. See the example:

Attachments

• OA test 1.GIF
    OA test 1.GIF
    14.4 KB · Views: 139
  • OA  test2.GIF
    OA test2.GIF
    19.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

You may try to use a summing amplifier circuit based upon the standard Inverting Operational Amplifier configuration that can be used for combining multiple inputs. See the example:

Thanks for reply mister_rf, I don't think youve posted the example correctly is it ok if u can post it again so I can look at it? thanks again

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Thanks for reply mister_rf, I don't think youve posted the example correctly is it ok if u can post it again so I can look at it? thanks again

In practice need also to use some buffer to obtain Vref.

Attachments

• Schematics 2.GIF
    Schematics 2.GIF
    29 KB · Views: 128

thanks sir, I shall try it, may i ask what sort of program/software/webiste did u use to create the schematic u just shown me?? i would also like to to try it for the other setup: 3V to 5V converted to 0V to 5V. thank you very much for your assistance

It’s a very small program, TINA Design Suite,
**broken link removed**
but you can use any simulation software you like…

To solve the problem need to put data into the summing amplifier equation:

V out = V2* (R2+R1)R4/R1(R3+R4) – V1* R2/R1

For the thanks you may use 'helped me' button... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
google it .."op amp circuits" or
**broken link removed**
generally all u need is a ref volt like mister.. post and use fixed resistors with rotary switch to get several fixed outputs .

**broken link removed**
install ltspice and u can run any-circuit and get real time scope like voltages

It’s a very small program, TINA Design Suite,
**broken link removed**
but you can use any simulation software you like…

To solve the problem need to put data into the summing amplifier equation:

V out = V2* (R2+R1)R4/R1(R3+R4) – V1* R2/R1

For the thanks you may use 'helped me' button... :lol:

cool thanks, atm I cannot seem to download the demo because I am at uni, is it ok for you to change the input voltage range from 3.5V to 5V and the output from 0V to 5V? and post the schematic here? thanks in advance.. sorry for being a pin and sorry i didnt know there is a help button here.. :S

Summing amplifier equation:

Vout = V2* (R2+R1)R4/R1(R3+R4) - V1* R2/R1

we replace
R2/R1 = x
and
R3/R4 = y

For the new conditions:

Vout = 0V for V2 in = 3V
0 = 3* (x+1)/(y+1) - V1* x

and
Vout = 5V for V2 in= 5V