Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a radio mixer for up-conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, a really basic question that confuses some of us.

An RF mixer has 3 ports:

LOSC
RF
IF

In DOWN-CONVERSION:

RF is the input
IF is the output

What about in UP-CONVERSION?
Which port should be the input of the low frequency signal and which one the output of the high frequency (produced) signal?

It might depend on the mixer - what are you using? If it is an active mixer then the RF input may be designed for lower signals so you would use the lowest level signal on the RF input. You have no choice of output - you only have one anyway.

Keith.

See this document
**broken link removed**
It connects the IF port as input and the RF as output for the up-conversion. I think it assumes passive diode mixers. Is it correct?
I am basically refer to double balanced diode mixers for microwaves

That paper seems to suggest it for a triple balanced mixer, but not double balanced, unless I have missed it. With a double balanced mixer I would always expect the output to be the IF pins, even if the output is higher than the RF/LO. You need to be careful of the frequencies that the mixer is designed for. Some can be a bit narrow and generally the IF frequency specification is lower than the RF/IF in the specifications.

Maybe ask on the RF forum there will be some experts on such things there.

Keith.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.