Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculated distance from tx power attenuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arr_baobao

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
let say i have a 2 device one side is tx and the other side is rx
both device is 3m away.
i start to tx at 10dB and check the packet loss at rx.
i keep on attenuate the power in tx until the packet loss is too high.
from the attenuated power can i calculate what is the range of the device that will still perform reasonable( low packet loss).
say now at -25dBm tx power i saw the packet loss is too high.
what is the max range of the device. how do i calculate.
i know when we double the distance we will get -6dB free space loss. can i use this formula since my tx power is dbm not db.

hope you guys understand what i want to ask =)

can i use this formula since my tx power is dbm not db.
dBm is absolute power quantity, dB is relative. 10 dBm - (-25) dBm = 35 dB attenuation. Corresponds to about factor 50 distance in free field. 3 m may be still near field, depending on the frequency, so it's a bit inaccurate but order of magnitude should be correct.

For example, in free-space if you transmit a 2.529 GHz signal with TX power of +10dBm, at 3m (which is about 50dB path loss) you may get about -40dBm at RX input (considering 0dB gain for RX and TX antennas, and no other losses).
From -40dBm @ 3m if you start to attenuate the TX conducted signal in 6dB steps theoretically you will get:
-46dBm @ 6m
-52dBm @ 12m
-58dBm @ 24m
-64dBm @ 48m

For example, in free-space if you transmit a 2.529 GHz signal with TX power of +10dBm, at 3m (which is about 50dB path loss) you may get about -40dBm at RX input (considering 0dB gain for RX and TX antennas, and no other losses).
From -40dBm @ 3m if you start to attenuate the TX conducted signal in 6dB steps theoretically you will get:
-46dBm @ 6m
-52dBm @ 12m
-58dBm @ 24m
-64dBm @ 48m
thanks. so much clearer now.

btw can i use the same on tx side?
if i tx 20dB, i attenuate 6dB device still working mean distance double. then i continue to attennuate another 6dB
packet loss still acceptable, i double the distance from previous distance.

can this work? without knowing the rssi in receiver side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back