Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate what fuse to add to a led chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbLMF

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Calculate what fuse to add to a led chain

For safety reasons I would like to add a fuse to a led chain. Please help me to calculate what fuse I should use, and would it be useful for safety?

I bought a chain of 40 led to replace the little lights of our Nativity scene. The chain of LEDs that I purchased has blue, green, yellow and red leds; on its box there are its specifications: 230V 0.016A 3.84W Led: 3V 0.016A Nr. Led. 40 Pot. Led: 0.048W. While on a label attached to the power cable there are listed the following specifications: Power. 240V 0.016A 3.84W bulbs. R/Y 2V 0.02A 0.04W B/G 3V 0.02A 0.06W 40 LED.

On the wire that connects the leds there are signs that say: 1X0.5mm2; to arrange the LEDs in their positions in our Nativity scene I have to extend the wire between the LEDs, so I will buy some 0.5mm square wire. Then I will cut the wire between the leds and add the extensions, welding the joints and covering them with shrink tubing.

I have already cut the wire to separate all the LEDs, but before I did that I put some tape on both wires of each LED, to sign how they were connected.

I read that it is better to add a fuse, in case of incorrect connections, but I would like to add it also to improve the safety of our Nativity scene.

These are the leds that I cut away from the chain (I marked with tape and red signs how they were connected together, white tape with tape with red sign)

**broken link removed**

and this is the chain (without the leds, which I cut away)

201111nov24152500r-vi.jpg

You can see that there is a power cord, then there is a converter from AC to DC, which is this one

201111nov24152526r-vi.jpg

On that converter there are signs that say: AC 1.6A DC, as you can see in a detail from the picture above

201111nov24152526r2-vi.jpg

After the converter there is a connector, from which three wires start, and the leds are all on one of those three wires, and all those three wires then end in another connector, as you can see in this picture (I cut away the led though)

201111nov24152625r-vi.jpg

All those three wires are of 0.5mm2 (there are the sign 1X0.5mm2 on the wires), as you can see in a detail from the picture above

201111nov24152625r2-vi.jpg

In this last picture you can see the chain box, with a draw of the electrical scheme, and some instructions, in Italian

**broken link removed**

The instructions say, among other things, that in case a led broke the user could come in contact with a dangerous current; it also say that up to 30 chains can be connected together, for a total amount of 1200 leds.

So I guess that the current is dangerous because the converter provide enough current for 30 chains; as I am not going to connect other chains, I'd like to put a fuse that limit the current flow only to the amount necessary for 1 chain. Could you calculate what fuse I should add to the chain so that our Nativity scene could be safe for children and... adults too :holiday:?

Last edited:

I'd like to add the fuse in the led chain, so I don't have to cut the power cord, also because, in the instructions, it is indicated that in case of damage to the power cord the power cord has to be replaced with a special power cord that is available only at the manufacturer or at its technical assistance service; but also because I have to cut the led chain wire in any case, although maybe I should add a fuse to each one of the three 0.5mm² wires, because I don't know exactly how the current flows in them.

The converter is one piece, therefore it cannot be opened, so I don't think there is a fuse in it, and also if there is one in it, it would be of no use for me, because it would be calibrated for the maximum current required in case 30 chains are connected to the converter.

As I don't know how to calculate the fuse, I am thinking to connect a multimeter to the line, once I have rebuilt the chain, to read how much current flows in it, so I can calibrate the fuse that way.

Last edited:

Why have you cut off 3 of the LED's?

Are they in series or parallel ?
If they are in series then you are increasing the voltage on each led and making the whole set more likely to fail.

For such a cheap lighting set, a 1A fuse in the plug should suffice, it you insist though you can put an inline fuse holder on the DC side

Why have you cut off 3 of the LED's?

No, I didn't say I have to cut off three leds; I said that there are three wires on the DC side, and I don't know how the current flows in them, so I am thinking to add three fuses, one to each of the three wires.

Are they in series or parallel ?

They are in series, one after the other.

If they are in series then you are increasing the voltage on each led and making the whole set more likely to fail.

Yes, thank you, I know that; as I explained above, I am not going to remove any led from the chain.

For such a cheap lighting set, a 1A fuse in the plug should suffice, it you insist though you can put an inline fuse holder on the DC side

Yes, that is what I think should be the best solution, to add an inline fuse holder on the DC side.

To protect the led's from overcurrent you'll need something like a 20 mA fuse. It will be hard to find one rated low enough and precise enough. It may be more practical to install a component designed for, say 15 mA, to operate as a fuse.

The lowest amount I think I've seen is a fuse for 1/10 A. Fast blow. This will protect the converter. The led's, maybe, but they'll still be vulnerable between 20 mA and 100 mA.

It also depends on what surge currents come from the converter (example, at power-up).

Reactions: AbLMF

AbLMF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you, your informations were very useful to me, but in the meanwhile in an Italian forum they told me that also a 20 mA current is dangerous for humans, although I discovered that it depends on the voltage, voltages of less than 50V are not considered dangerous in general. Then using a multimeter I measured the voltage coming out of that converter and I got a scary 220 V DC. At this point I think that a fuse would not be effective to increase the led chain security for people, and I am not interested in doing a lot of work to protect a chain of LEDs that worth 25 euros, so now I think that adding a fuse would be useless.

I finished buying a new 40 leds chain that has got a transformer at its plug, which transforms the current to 24V current, so that the current that flows in our Nativity scene shouldn't be a dangerous current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back