Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to calculate INPUT and OUTPUT delay for a chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kotta

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ASIC'ians

Could any body let me know "Is there any methodology exist to calculate Input and Output Delays of a chip".

Example:

Block A has an input DATA_IN and output DATA_OUT, how to calculate the input and output delays of block A.

Regards,
Sreedhar..

I think timing analysis tool or synthesis tool (I forgot which one) usually have characterization feature, doesn't it ?

input/output delay are the delay, you apply at chip level, if you plan to make a hierarchical synthesis, the tool will handle for you.

At chip level, you will provide the input/output delay based on your system constraints.

if you have access to primetime. load your netlist and sdf file and then issue a command like this to get the delay:

if the path is comninatorial:
report_timing -from chipa/in_a -to chipa/out_a

if its sequential, you have to do:

open primetime gui by typing primetime -gui&
highligt the path and select report timing from the menu.

Hi,

When your doing block level PD and if you don't know/not provided IO delays then as friend_333 said you can apply IO delays as a % of your clock.

You can start with 20%-20% or 50%-50% it all depends upon other module location,their IO delay,net delay etc. w.r.to your module.

Regards,

There are two cases: if your data synchronous or asynchronous with some external chip
(means have the same clock).

If data is async. input/output delays doesn't matters (can be zeroes).

If data synchronous you should calculate the time DATA takes to pass from source
trigger on one chip to another chip's I/O.
This time minus time clock takes to pass another chip's I/O will be the input_delay.

Same with output_delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back