Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much power can one draw from a short dipole antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you have another version of the book. The relevant chapter discusses Gain, directivity and associated effective area for the receive case.

There a several ways to prove the relation between gain, directivity wavelength and effective area for the receive case, chapter 13 (in my book) may be helpful.

You have the full right to doubt conclusions as mentioned in Kraus, Ballanis, Orfanidis. It is the basis for the development of new thoughts.

I give antenna classes and several students have questions about the effective area for small antennas, as in the beginning it is strange that physically small antennas can have a significantly large effective capture area. However, after some days, virtually all students understand why this is possible and can explain this themselves. When you take some time to study, you will very likely change your mind.

I think the only way it would be possible is if the small antenna radiated field that cancels incoming field. But I have calculated it for a 2cm loop, 2m wavelength and this secondary radiation is negligible.
So I do not believe the generally accepted result regarding effective area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back