Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current can USB-C 2.0 deliver

Rimvis123

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys, I'm using "216990-0003" USB type C with this configuratio which you can see in my schematic. Now I can't understand how much amps my USB port delivers, because few people said that it delivers 0,5A, other that more than that, so actually how much? And what track width I need for that current for this exact desing in PCB making?
1706712508193.png

1706712516623.png

The USB port might provide 100 mA right off the bat. However to get more Amperes, a peripheral must communicate successfully via a protocol known as enumeration. If it fails to be recognized, then you don't get much power if any. Over past years there have been newer variations (USB original and USB 2 besides USB 3) each of which provides increasingly greater maximum Amperes.

There's no "USB-C 2.0". USB-C connector is specified in USB 3.1. Also it's not correct to parallel Dx1 and Dx2 pairs on USB-C device connector.

I would expect that the host port delivers at least 900 mA, more likely 1.5 A without dedicated negotiation.

Power Delivery​

While a USB 2.0 port could deliver just 2.5 watts of power, about enough to slowly charge a phone, USB 3.1 upped this to about 4.5 watts, and the initial uses of USB-C topped out at 15 watts of power. Today, a single USB-C cable can handle both video and power using USB’s Power Delivery spec.

Happily, USB4 increases this output to 100 watts for the base protocol and as much as 240 watts with the Extended Power Range specification. For practical reasons, most devices limit this to between 96 and 100 watts.

Conclusion
15W/5V= 3A = 0.762 mm wide trace for 25'C rise.

For a 25'C trace temperature rise you need 10 mil width per Amp.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back