Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is PC value of cortex m3 caculated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper Chow

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm learning cortex m3 based stm32f10xx mcus. I don't understand how the program counter value of Cortexm3 is caculated.
The definitive guide to cortex m3 states,
" when you read this register, you will find that the value is different than the
location of the executing instruction, normally by 4. For example:
0x1000: MOV R0, PC ; R0 = 0x1004
In other instructions like literal load (reading of a memory location related to current PC value), the
effective value of PC might not be instruction address plus 4 due to alignment in address calculation.
But the PC value is still at least 2 bytes ahead of the instruction address during execution.
"

Here is the pseudocode explanation of BL instruction specified by ARMv7-m architecture reference
"if ConditionPassed() then
EncodingSpecificOperations();
next_instr_addr = PC;
LR = next_instr_addr<31:1> : ’1’;
BranchWritePC(PC + imm32);"

My question is if PC is normally 4 ahead of current executed instruction, how can it be the address of the next instruction since cortexm3 only employ thumb instructions? Some information I googled says the PC is a pointer to the the instruction being fetched, and cortex m3 has three-stage pipeline, so PC's value is the address of the instruction after next instrution. If so, the instruction following BL will not be exexcuted after the subroutine returns.
I coundn't find any detailed machanism of the PC calculation and instruction execution process from any related documents issued by ARM. Someone help me

Status
Not open for further replies.