Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Intel achived 45nm Technology ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

my_books

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How Intel achieved 45nm Technology ?

In Intel website there is not much given about it.

I want to have good knowledge about it.

i think it is a technology secrets , to it will be hard to publish these information

khouly

i agree with khouly, 45 nm technology is new in the industry compared to the .18um, and i think it will take sometimes before they will release complete information.

Technologies are needs to be secret, so that u can survive in this competitive world. Many ppl are still struggling to develop testchip in C45, then How the intel will release the info about C45...If you want to know about the technology advances, probably u can visit some US universities sites to gather some info..

my_books,
A recent issue of IEEE Spectrum (either the current issue, or the previous one) had an article on this topic. The author discussed, among other things:
1) The need for hafnium oxide as the dielectric
2) The need for going back to metal gates, as opposed to polysilicon
3) The need for diffusing the gate last instead of first, as in previous technology
4) The need for a metal other than aluminum for the gate (the author would not reveal the metal, although he did state that different metals are used for the N-channel and P-channel devices.
Regards,
Kral

Hi Kral, Thanks for the info... Can you please upload the IEEE doc?.. It will be very helpful for many people like me..

Somewhere I heard that the polysilicon is replaced by Hafnium in C45.. I want to know why is it so... It will be helpful if u upload or provide us the exact title of the IEEE spectrum....

The dielectric is replaced by Hafnium (or mixture of SiO2 and Hf), because it has higher k (epsilon_{r}). I am not sure if it has happened in every 45 nm technology.

To answer your specific question, the reason for going to hafnium is that the SiO2 insulator in the current 65nM process is only about 5 atoms thick. To scale to 45nM would mean that the insulation would be so thin that excessive leakage current would occur due to quantum mechanical tunnelling. HaO2 has a much higher dielectric constant, so the insulation can be made thicker, thus reducing the leakage current, while maintaining useful capacitance.
To read the excellent IEEE Spectrum article, go to
**broken link removed**
Regards,
Kral

Someone please help to upload corresponding at the end of this article, please?
**broken link removed**
Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.