Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How increase contrast of LCD Volcraft DPS 4005

asrock70

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been using a Voltcraft DPS 4005 power supply for many years and all this time I've been annoyed by the poor LCD visibility.
Today the cup overflowed and I disassembled the miracle of German engineers, which is produced and designed by Chinese comrades.

To begin with, if you look at the LCD from below, the contrast is excellent, not much when viewed from the front, but readable, when viewed from the top you can hardly see anything.

The LCD is soldered to the PCB and the entire LCD is controlled by the Universal LCD driver PCF8576,
VDD in +5V
Vss=0V GND
VLcd=0V according to the PCB and the diagram, there should be some voltage from the divider R1/R2 (0-5V), in real R1 miss and R2 replaced the wire.

Am I correct that I could apply a negative voltage, say -600mV to the VLcd and thereby increase the contrast of the LCD?

The observed view angle is caused by a inappropiately orientated polarization filter and can't be changed adjusting control voltage.

You are right, on the other hand, the black level can be influenced by the voltage, and a more pronounced black is more visible even with a bad filter.
With LCD, the contrast cannot really be influenced other than by the excitation voltage

Adjust bias and verify if improved.
1704482163637.png

The polarization filter is optimized for a Horizontal flat surface in front of you.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back