Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How exactly does a siphon work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paereap

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Just wondering.. How exactly does a siphon work? Seen multiple explanation from various sources but I'm unsure of what is the real stuff.

Re: Siphon

Yeah I've read the Wikipedia article, thanks. Apparently where I'm confused is; is the working of the siphon driven by pressure difference (i.e. the creation of the partial vacuum), or is it driven by the cohesion between the molecules? What I've seen appears to imply both.. but still.. yeah. Hope you could help me. Also, can a siphon really operate in a vacuum assuming the cohesion factor is taken out? Thanks.

Siphon

For common liquids at ordinary room conditions, I think the pressure difference is the dominant effect. However, there are some weird substances where cohesion (is that the right word?) becomes a significant factor. For example, that slimy polymer goo that crawls up, over, and out of a beaker, once you get it started.
https://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/demos/siphonpolymer.html

paereap

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Siphon

Okay thanks. Got it ironed out, so does that mean a siphon should not work in a vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back