Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do I calculate the current in a cascode current mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

iou

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do I calculate (or set) the current in the following cascode current mirror circuit?
Can someone explain the circuit and how to design and analyse it.

Secondly, I'd like to set i to 2.5mA, I know VDD is 1.8V but how to I size the transistors to achieve this using .18um technology?

Opps, I think there is a resistor between the PMOS and NMOS.

Re: how do I calculate the current in a cascode current mirr

Usually current is calculated with very well known formula of Id.... Spice programs
calculate it very fast.

1. I don't think this circuit can work in 1.8V. You have 3 diodes but only 1.8V that mean all the MOS threshold voltage needs to less 0.55V in slow corner.
2. If the Vth is not the problem, the PMOS should be connected like CS not diode. because in your case, the current will dependent on the process.
3. If you want to calculate the current you just use the equation I=1/2*uC(W/L)(Vgs-Vt)^2.
Vgsp+2*Vgsn=1.8
4. you can setup a basic number for Vgsp or Vgsn then you will get the I (also W/L needs a number in the beginning)
5. also if you have already know the current is 2.5mA then you can give the Vgsp & Vgsn then calculate the W and L.

This circuit will work at any voltage at any technology. Vth is parameter that marks two regions- subthreshold (weak inversion) and strong inversion.

not having currrent means work
Maybe you take some example that 1V technology use this kind of circuit?

Is their a resistance between PMOS and NMOS.
If not it looks like a inverter with input and output shorted.

Yes there should be a resistor between the PMOS and NMOS.

ambreesh said:
Is their a resistance between PMOS and NMOS.
If not it looks like a inverter with input and output shorted.

I have ever set up such a circuit under tsmc .18 process. For a moderate W (such as several um), the current is around 1uA, If u want to get more than 2mA current, W maybe quite large. Furthermore, if we consisder the worst case, such as 1.6V ss corner 120 centidegrade, the task is even more difficult. By the way, I have also try to increase L to get lower Vth and bigger Vdsat, but it will cost more area.....

dear iou,
I am not sure that one can fix the current exactly
The resistance between pmos and nmos would have (Vdd-Vtp-Vtn-2Von) drop across it, this would decide the current.
We have Vt' varying, R varying both with process and temperature.
Vt' variartion may not have as drastic an effect as R variation ±20%

hope it helps.

This is self biased current mirror configuration .
R=1.8-(3Vov+3Vt)/I ;
Vov=overdrive =50mV R approx is 60 ohms ,calculate W/l for pmos and nmos .
The bias current has resistor variations that needs to be accomodated in design .

daer mady,
the bias current would also see variation due to threshold voltage cariation across slow, fast and combinational corners.
So it is just not resistor variation

Amby,

I think process corner's & tolerances are inherent .

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back