Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How did I kill 2 Mosfets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent the order last night, it was a fair few hours all in. I checked all of the packages were available without being too expensive but haven't ordered the components yet, I might want a few other bits and pieces before the board arrives. I tidied up a bit from the last pic, centering components and using a bit more copper. I remember trying to avoid using the via in the Vout plane but it entailed breaking the square of the ground plane and I thought, perhaps erroneously, keeping the ground plane surrounding everything was preferable. I will fix that on the next revision. I can see by comparison that the layout of the rest of the circuit degraded from the last revision. The opamp is quite robust and works almost perfectly on a stripboard, the 555 timer frequency does suffer from variations of trace capacitance but I have a trimmer in there to alter the frequency, I need that to tune in the piezo regardless, there are a fair few things to do for the next revision. The board will need debugging probably, I will fall over if it actually works!

Thanks,

Ant.

I've had the manufacture pic back and should get the board in a few days. It looks ok, what I wasn't expecting is for the polygons not to have the chip pads inside them, it looks like the silkscreen didnt work exactly as I'd like. I have already begun work on the next revision which AC couples the opamp output. I'm also considering a final (hopefully) revision that uses the Max 773 DC booster rather than the Max770, I might require over 16.5V which will necessitate this, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Ant.

Last edited:

I have made up the circuit, as I haven't made a smd board before it looks a mess but the DC booster worked like a charm. I was looking at the DC booster after it was done thinking that it couldn't possibly work, then I powered it up and I saw a little cloud of smoke appear off the MAX770 and thought that was no surprise and left for half an hour. I came back and noticed I had the battery on the wrong way! I put the battery on properly and it has been great ever since. The rest of the board isn't so good, I knew this beforehand, the whole idea of powering the opamp off a voltage divider wasn't good, it actually does work if I knock it on the bench top hard enough, I get the 180Vpp out of the transformer, but the signal isn't so good and it tends not to work. I have made up the next board pretty much and I think it will work just fine. I also needed to put on a switch and mount holes for the container. Thanks.

Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.