Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can join a multicast group ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesholv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai all

How to set my windows xp machine to receive streams from a specific multicast group ip address from my network and block some multicast group ip address ? And is there any command to know the outgoing multicast packet details from a windows xp machine ?

regards
Aneesh

Not sure if you mean over the internet, or if you mean a computer version of closed-circuit tv where all observers are in the same building?

Here is a website that will:

(1) accept a live video stream from your computer,

(2) create a custom webpage with a unique URL, which you can tell to anyone you wish,

(3) play the video stream live so it can be watched from anywhere in the world.

https://www.ustream.tv/

Hai

Iam working in live studio enviorment which is working under multicast technology . I have two windows xp professional machine for live streaming and recording which is connected in a same vlan . When I check the multicast group ip address which the two machine joins (command used: " netsh interface ip show joins" ), it shows different group of multicast group ip address .My doubt is that since both machine connected in the same subnet , how they differentiate or decide to listen or joins a particular multicast group ip and avoid some multicast group ip

Regards
Aneesh

Here is some help by which you can multicast group in i.p address. As you probably know, the range of IP addresses is divided into "classes" based on the high order bits of a 32 bits IP address:
Bit --> 0 31 Address Range:
+-+----------------------------+
|0| Class A Address | 0.0.0.0 - 127.255.255.255
+-+----------------------------+
+-+-+--------------------------+
|1 0| Class B Address | 128.0.0.0 - 191.255.255.255
+-+-+--------------------------+
+-+-+-+------------------------+
|1 1 0| Class C Address | 192.0.0.0 - 223.255.255.255
+-+-+-+------------------------+
+-+-+-+-+----------------------+
|1 1 1 0| MULTICAST Address | 224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
+-+-+-+-+----------------------+
+-+-+-+-+-+--------------------+
|1 1 1 1 0| Reserved | 240.0.0.0 - 247.255.255.255
+-+-+-+-+-+--------------------+
The one which concerns us is the "Class D Address". Every IP datagram whose destination address starts with 1110 is an IP Multicast data-gram.
The remaining 28 bits identify the multicast "group" the datagram is sent to. Following with the previous analogy, you have to tune your radio to hear a program that is transmitted at some specific frequency, in the same way you have to "tune" your kernel to receive packets sent to an specific multicast group. When you do that, it's said that the host has joined that group in the interface you specified. More on this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.