Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i Install Two OS in My laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyamverma

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please suggest me the suitable answer to do this.
thank you.

In case you want to install a dual boot, meaning you chose which OS you want to boot after you reboot and the laptop is starting,
and you want a Windows/linux, then you should always install windows first, after that put in your favourite linux distro CD inside, boot again and install, linux distros are not so "greedy", and will happily share their space with windows or any other OS, i case of ubuntu or linux mint its special easy since the installation process will ask you if you want to maintan the first OS(windows in this case), how much space(HDD) do you want to give him, etc, all automatically and very easy.

Looking at that the other way, if you install Linux first and then install Windows, the Windows installer will overwrite the Linux bootloader. You can recover from that by running Linux from a CD/DVD/USB stick then reinstalling the Grub or Lilo bootloader again but it is a tedious process.

Linux is far friendlier and if it finds Windows is already there it will ask you if you want to keep it and if so, how to divide the hard disc space between them. It then installs the bootloader which asks you which system you want to run when the computer starts up. Incidentally, Linux can read and write the Windows part of the disk so you can use files in the Windows partition as though they were in the Linux partition. Windows cannot natively read Linux files though and it will not recognize the part of the hard disk you allocated to Linux.

Brian.

I just want to what very correctly betwixt wrote, that like he says beying linux much more friendly, and if you are installing both OS from scratch it is strongly recommended to install windows first.
Unless of corse you want to learn and are up for some challenge :)

You could shrink your Windows partition and install another OS on a new partition. IF you want another boot loader, GRUB willload XP, Unix, Linux, or Windows 7. Or, the windows boot loader will allow you to select which OS to boot.

Step one:

Partition the drive (c:\, d:\)

install first o.s. - direct to drive c:\

install 2nd o.s. - direct to drive d:\

Last edited by a moderator:

there is some protocol in installing two OS or Dual Boot. if you want to use two microsoft OS you need to install first the later version then comes the newer version. example you have 500Gb of HardDisk allocate 100Gb to Drive C and install the windows vista there, while installing vista you can partition your Storage for presiding OS, or if you want to do it after installation. Go to Control Panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > Disk Management..
you can now install your next OS windows 7/windows 8/ubuntu etc.. just do the installation like in vista.

BTW if i were you i will not use XP anymore in dual boot. microsoft already stop sending updates since april, so drivers and other application also stop making updates in windows XP like jdk. just use xp in Virtualization for your other projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.