Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can I design a buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

adek

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want design a buffer 8 input(±20V) 8 output(±10V),GAIN=0.5.Which IC can I use?

adek said:
I want design a buffer 8 input(±20V) 8 output(±10V),GAIN=0.5.Which IC can I use?

That depends on your spec and what you want to do. You need to ask
youself a few questions

1. What is the bandwidth you need?
2. What is the output going to drive? (resistive load, capacitive load, inductive load)
3. What is the noise level (or the quanlity) of the output?
4. Do you need to route between inputs and outputs?

If just simple buffer is need, I will use a quad op-amp to do the job. It is simple and cheap.

If you need good quality output, simply use a better quality op-amp.

For inductive load and capacitive load, some caution is needed. But also
depends on what kind of current drive you are looking at. The design
can range from very simple op-amp to complex driver design.

There is no ic for this purpose.But if you attach opamp output of divider(x0.5)with
buffer mode.(noninverting input attach output of divider,inverting input and opamp output shorted and this pin output for you).Dont forget R must be high and opamp must be dual power supply.(sample + - 15V)

input -----
|
R this point=input/2
|---------------------------------
R
|
grn

For basic applictions you can use 2 x LM324, LM347,TL074, or similar (each contains 4 opamps) or 4 x LM358, LF353, TL072, or similar (each contains 2 opamps) or 8 x 741, LF351, TL071, or similar ..
Supply them of +/-12 to +/-15V.
Connect 2:1 voltage devider at their (+) input(s).
Connect (-) input(s) with output(s) .. buffer of gain=1

Now you have 8 buffers with total gain of 0.5 ..

analog_design said:
What is the advantage of using buffer?

Buffer is also known as the pre-amplifier, it is used to match your signal source's output impedance, attenuate noise, limit the bandwidth etc for the amplifier to just amplify the desired signals.

1. is it the voltage gain of a buffer is 1? and it's amplify the current? and class B/AB amplifier is categorized as buffer?

2. "1. What is the bandwidth you need?
2. What is the output going to drive? (resistive load, capacitive load, inductive load)
3. What is the noise level (or the quanlity) of the output?
4. Do you need to route between inputs and outputs? "
the bandwidth we need, what is the meaning of bandwidth? is it the range of frequency that's allowed to be amplified?

3. what is the example of capacitive load and inductive load? the speaker is a resistive load, right?? >_<

If just simple buffer is need, I will use a quad op-amp to do the job. It is simple and cheap.

4. what is a quad op-amp?

thanks for the reply ^^

the voltage range is high, use embbeded integrated circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.