Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I calculate the length of wire needed to make a helix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkirkby

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to make a helical antenna. I know the number of turns (N=7), diameter (D=39 mm) and the spacing between each turn (S=27 mm), but how can I calculate the total length of material needed for the helix given N, D and S? Clearly if the spacing was infintesimally small, it would simply be Pi*D*N, since Pi*D is the circumference of a circle.

Developing the cylindrical surface becomes a triangle whose cathetus are pi*D*N and p*N (p : pitch , 27mm )

Then L = N √(Π²D²+p²)

May I ask what length of wire your calculations resulted in to make sure I am equating the answers correctly.

Thanks

May I ask what length of wire your calculations resulted in to make sure I am equating the answers correctly.

Thanks

Use pythagoras theorem C=PI*D, S = spacing L = sqrt(C^2 + S^2)
L = length of one full rotation
L*N = total length
Height of helix = S*N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back