Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can drive an inductive load very fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanbakoo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to drive an inductive load ( 600uH) with -1.5A to +1.5A. Input signal is an unformed signal -10v to +10v (every form and non periodic ).

I do that with an opamp and a pushpull and current feedback of inductor ( a resistor series with inductor so voltage of it equal to current of yoke )

In this circuit when input signal change and current output dont change ( or small change because of inductor ) current feedback generate a larger output voltage ( V=L*di/dt ) for having larger di/dt and current change rapidly.

But it is need to have a very large VCC and VEE such as +200v and -200v and it is not suitable for me.

How can change current of inductive load very fast ( very large di/dt ) with +20v and -20v Power supply ?

Best Regards

Hi
I want to drive an inductive load ( 600uH) with -1.5A to +1.5A. Input signal is an unformed signal -10v to +10v (every form and non periodic ).

I do that with an opamp and a pushpull and current feedback of inductor ( a resistor series with inductor so voltage of it equal to current of yoke )

In this circuit when input signal change and current output dont change ( or small change because of inductor ) current feedback generate a larger output voltage ( V=L*di/dt ) for having larger di/dt and current change rapidly.

But it is need to have a very large VCC and VEE such as +200v and -200v and it is not suitable for me.

How can change current of inductive load very fast ( very large di/dt ) with +20v and -20v Power supply ?

Best Regards

any possibility of driving the load from a current source?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi

Best Regards

any possibility of driving the load from a current source?

- - - Updated - - -

unexpectedly two copies have been posted. please ignore.

I see your problem, your inductor is generating 180V+ due to the Di/Dt, so you need > 180V to actually drive current into it. The only solution I can see is to use a transformer to change the > 180V to something less then 20V. Sounds very complicated.
Frank

You simply can't. You can rather easily make the inductor current drop from 1.5 to 0 A by disconnecting the source and providing a kind of energy absorber, e.g. a Z-diode. But you need to feed energy to the inductor to raise the current to 1.5 A again.

If you don't rely on a specific current waveform, the current reversal can be achieved by a capacitor connected in parallel to the inductor.
Disconnected the 1.5A current source, let the LC circuit perform a half cycle, connect a -1.5A current source. With the help of the capacitor, you don't need a high voltage supply, only a switch that is able disconnect the respective voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.