Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How about this bandgap current source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Who can help me the analysis this circuit?
VDD=3V and 'I50A' should be 50uA
56_1162124863.GIF

1.How about the current "I50A" in this bandgap circuit?
Is it PTAT current or temperature-independent?
I think it is PTAT but I was told that it work as a bandgap current source in a ADC circuit.

2.How about the voltage "Vm" in the middle of the circiut?

3. What is the usage of the two resistors "RR" and "RL" in the base terminl of the bipolor transistors?

1.How about the current "I50A" in this bandgap circuit?
I think it is PTAT but I was told that it work as a bandgap current source in a ADC circuit.
I50A = 1/R*Vt*ln(m) + Vbe/RL, assuming cascode mirror ratio is=1
where R is the resistor between Vm and the pnp transistor, m is the transistor size ratio of the pnp transistor, Vbe is reffering to the pnp transistor Vbe on the right.
Vt has positive tempco, while Vbe has negative tempco. By having different gain settings 1/R and 1/RL, you may achive a bandgap current reference.

2.How about the voltage "Vm" in the middle of the circiut?
Vm = Vbe of pnp transistor on the right, assuming the opamp offset is negligible.

3. What is the usage of the two resistors "RR" and "RL" in the base terminl of the bipolor FET?
RR and RL are to generate a current that has negative temp coefficient that can cancel with positive tempco as stated in the I50A equation.
Btw, bipolar and FET is different transistor type. I don think there is a transistor called bipolar FET.

Davidy

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you, sengyee88.

What you analysis is really right.

Do you mind look at another topic of mine about the opa in the bandgap?

That is "What is the usage of the PMOS FET in this simple amplifier?" by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.