Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home Automation System Wireless Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrahim03

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am thinking of making a home automation system in which lights and fans in the whole house are controlled directly through an android application. Basically the flow will be something as follows:

Code:
Bulb----Relay-------------Patch Panel --------Microcontroller ----Wireless Module 1 ~~~~~~Android Mobile.
                         |
Fan-----Relay ------------
                         |
Fan-----Relay ------------
                         |
Bulb---- Relay -----------
Far away Light(outside house)---Relay ~~~~~ Wireless Module 2 ----- Microcontroller -----Wireless Module 1 ~~~~~ Android Mobile

----  = wired connection

~~~ = wireless connection

Microcontroller will be an ATMega32. I need suggestions for what should I use as a wireless modules. Bluetooth modules such as HC-05 and HC-06 are class 2 and they do not have enough range (only 10 meters), I want to control the switches from all the rooms in the house and this range might not be enough for a big house (or a two story house). Also these modules are also not easily available locally so they can be a bit expensive.

I needed suggestions on what else can be my options for the Wireless Modules.

Regards//

You can use ZigBee or you can use RF modules with appropriate output power.

These 2 also came to my mind but the issue is that how will they connect to the mobile ? I want to have the ease of just picking up the mobile phone, launching an app and simply pushing a button to control the lights. I dont want to connect any wire to the mobile phone because that will defeat the whole purpose of using the mobile phone.

The way I see it there are only two options if I want to connect to the mobile directly without any extra device, Bluetooth and WiFi, am I right ?

If you plan to use mobile phone, then you have these options WiFi, Bluetooth, or Internet (small dedicated web server). Web server will require phone to use Internet, but can ensure remote control from any remote point where you have access to Internet. Small web server use DDNS.

Greetings
Some options are :
1. Make small interface Modules placed in range of wireless unit.
Bulb----Relay-------------Patch Panel --------Microcontroller ----Wireless Module 1 ~~~ Wireless Module 2----Micro-controller----Bluetooth ~~~~~~Android Mobile.
Results : Solves purpose (if your phone is in range of Bluetooth unit)
Bulky---- Costly

2. Try Texas Instruments CC3000 module(Wi-Fi 802.11b/g Network Processor).
Bulb----Relay-------------Patch Panel --------Microcontroller ---- CC3000 ~~~~~~Android Mobile(wi-fi).
Results : Good Range TX power: +18.0 dBm at 11 Mbps
RX sensitivity: –88 dBm

3. Try BlueGiga WT11i - Class 1 Bluetooth® Module ---- **broken link removed**
WT41 Long Range Bluetooth Module ---- **broken link removed**
+ Many other....

Good Luck :)

This just came to my mind.

Although it isnt possible to use a USB dongle with the Microcontroller (because of the driver and BT stack implementation) but what about breaking open an old bluetooth wireless mouse and using the module inside it ?
I think these wireless bluetooth mice use something similar to the class 2 blutooth modules available for uCs and it might be possible to get a few old/broken bluetooth mice for cheap (cheaper than buying a new bluetooth module).
What do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back