Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Solar Dusk to Dawn system.(500V to 1000V represented as 0 to 10V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swapnil14327

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have 500V to 1000V DC output from comibination of solar Panels.
Is it possible to design a circuit which will represent 500Volts to 1000Volts DC range in 0V to 10Volts DC so that I can control my output device as per the voltage.

Similar to solar dusk to dawn street light, but high voltage.

eg: 500V will be represented as 0V (System OFF)
as the voltage increases to 1000V the output will be increased to 10V(System at Max efficiency)

1) Use resistors as a voltage divider to reduce the 500V to 100 V down to 10V to 20V.
2) Use an opamp to add an offset voltage of -10V to the voltages divided then the 10V becomes 0V and the 20V becomes 10V.

Put a 500V zener (or string of zeners) inline with the source. This creates your desired expanded scale effect, and reduces wasted power.

Add a resistor divider as Audioguru suggests.

1/2W of power is wasted. Suppose your next device has a 1M input impedance, then it does not severely load the output.

If your device has 10M input impedance, then you can increase the values in the resistive divider, thus wasting even less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.