Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage electrode design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowil20010

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am new here. I am trying to design a high voltage electrode base on an IEEE paper that I read, but I am having a hard time determining what the different variables mean. Is this an appropriate place for this discussion?

The paper can be found here.
N. G. Trinh, "Electrode Design for Testing in Uniform Field Gaps," in IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, vol. PAS-99, no. 3, pp. 1235-1242, May 1980, doi: 10.1109/TPAS.1980.319754.

Electrode shapes and materials have been discussed in several threads here.

Certain shapes cause a spark (or inhibit it) more readily than other shapes.

Certain substances erode less quickly due to sparking as compared to other substances.

Are these factors which you're trying to solve?

Yes and No. I am interested in preventing sparks which is why I'm interested in specific designs. But to add on to that, mine is more detailed. I am specifically trying to create a uniform e-field between electrodes in the parallel plate region. outside of the parallel plate region (defined as some radius from the center outward), the maximum e-field intensity should be lower than the e-field intensity in the middle. By doing this, you can perform breakdown tests and ensure that the peak e-field intensity is truly coming from the gap that you would like and not the corners. This is useful for determining breakdown field in air or other gasses.

There are various "profiles" that researchers have designed that work fairly well. some have advantages over others, but of course that means there will also be disadvantages. The profile in the paper I linked is Rogowski because he studied it. There are also Cheng, Harrison, Borda, etc. If I can figure out how to simply model the one in the paper, I should be able to translate it to any of the others and even continue research on my own. I'm just having a really hard time understanding the variables and translating them to matlab. I understand the general concept behind their design, but I dont know what the different parameters are. I'm sure I understand the terms, just not in the words used.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back