Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Side Current Sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

geobabu

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI All,
I need to implement a high side shut resistor based current sensing with a Differential ADC. Here the line consists of around 12VDC @ current varies from 1 to 10A. Eventhough the drop stands within the Differential i/p voltage limit(+/- 2.048V), its common mode voltage is higher than what is allowed.
Also I am aware that, there are some dedicated ICs and Opamp based instrumentation amplifiers are available, I am just trying to implement with same ADC & less components (as shown in the attached image.) . Simulation everything seems good, but before implementing I am seeking some advice from you. Whether this is a good practice for implementation. Hoping for your valuable suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Regards,
Geo
ADC_current sense.JPG

"tolerance variations are excluded". Put-in some reasonable resistor tolerances into the calculation to answer the question about "good practice" yourself.

Besides the tolerance problem, using a 18 bit ADC to get about 9 bit resolution isn't really satisfying I think.

"tolerance variations are excluded". Put-in some reasonable resistor tolerances into the calculation to answer the question about "good practice" yourself.

Yes 1% tolerance was applied. Its seems to be fine. Anyway in practical implementation some more changes can be expected, that's why I mentioned that.

Besides the tolerance problem, using a 18 bit ADC to get about 9 bit resolution isn't really satisfying I think.

Ofcourse its a fact !. Its really not need to have a 18bit ADC here. But I have some of them . (I can't use the uC's internal ADC here). Even though its a 18bit ADC , I am planning to configure them for 12bit mode with 240sps. In 18bits it gives 3.75sps. Also thought that later it can be configured for higher voltages & current measurement with some good accuracy.

Regards,
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.