Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hierarchical power report: sub-design consumes more power than top design

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitwayne

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have done a power estimation of my design in DC with power compiler and generated a power report in hierarchical way.
However, I feel strange that in the power report some of the sub-designs consume even more power than their top design.

For example, the Complex_ALU consumes even more total power than its top design fu5, and the RenameMapTable consumes
even more power than its top design Rename.

This makes no sense, right? I wonder why this happens? Thanks for your help!

Here are two snippets of my power report:

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 6.15.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 6.15.57 PM.png

Last edited:

Maybe each module power is calculated by itself, so a top module calculation is only the logic without lower hierarchies.

I don't think each module power is calculated by itself. I added the power of all the level-1 sub modules
and the total almost equals the power of the top module with minor difference. If I added up the power
of all the level-1, level-2 and level-3 sub modules, then the sum is much higher than the power of the
top module. So I don't think that the lower hierarchies are not counted in when calculating the power of
their top module.

why to add "If I added up the power of all the level-1, level-2 and level-3 sub modules"?? because all sum of level-2 modules is the power of level-1 top module, adding all level-1 sub modules gives u the total power of the design. so, no need of adding level-2 and level-3 sub modules power to the total power.

why to add "If I added up the power of all the level-1, level-2 and level-3 sub modules"?? because all sum of level-2 modules is the power of level-1 top module, adding all level-1 sub modules gives u the total power of the design. so, no need of adding level-2 and level-3 sub modules power to the total power.

Yes, for the total power of the design I should only sum all level 1 modules. However, the problem with the power report is that some of the level 2 module consumes even more power than their level 1 top module. For example, the rename module. This does not make sense, right? The top module should include all power of its sub modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back