Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HF Power amplifier designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirashah

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I m making an power amplifier from 1-30Mhz which gives output of 600 watt, I m using ADS software and using transistor MRF422 , but there is problem in getting gain in the required range (images are attached), so can anybody help, telling me where could be the problem?

Secondly to get 600watt i would used power divider and combiner but they are not available in ADS, so how could i make them on ADS?

Regards.

Try not to specify component values to 6 decimal places, it just clutters up the drawing. I think the 50 ohms (R2) is soaking up the drive power. I would work on .55V foward bias so R1/R2 = 27.5/.55 with R1 400 ohms. Now the input circuitry can be used to match 50 source Z to whatever you think the transistors input impedance is. I do not see the need for the inductor in series with R1, it would be better in series with R2. The output circuit, 600W @28 V, actually 56V p-p or 600W @20V rms = ~30 A, the collector impedance is about .7 ohms, so you are trying to match this to 50 ohms using two sections, so each section must be a 1:8 transformation. So design two PI networks Zin = .7, Zout 5.6 ohms and 5.6 in and 50 out. Obviously, the "centre" capacitors can then be combined.
Frank

Off topic:
I think since it is just a simulation, it doesn't matter trying to get 600W output that is 4 times the minimum rated one (150W) of the RF power transistor of interest.

Kerim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back