Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with simple op amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
LM386 is very inefficient with 4 ohm load respective 8 ohm load in bridge configuration, particularly at supply voltages above 6 V as a brief look to the datasheet clarifies. See output swing versus load diagram

1615034147597.png

I really don't understand what this thread is up to

LM386 is very inefficient with 4 ohm load respective 8 ohm load in bridge configuration, particularly at supply voltages above 6 V as a brief look to the datasheet clarifies. See output swing versus load diagram

View attachment 167898

I really don't understand what this thread is up to
Thread looking into why the bridge config failed, and sims seem to show
too much power for a 8 pin dip with no heatsink probable cause.

And to answer a distortion question.

Regards, Dana.

I have never tried a low power M386 but I have two amplifiers using the LM390 which is similar but it uses boostrapping and produces 1.1W at low distortion into 4 ohms when the supply is its max at 9V. Into 8 ohms the power with low distortion is 0.67W.

The LM386 produces only 0.3W into 4 ohms and only 0.45W into 8 ohms with low distortion when the supply is 9V.

Years ago I used a bridged and bootstrapped LM2896 dual amplifier IC to produce 4.0W at low distortion into 8 ohms with a 9V supply.

Attachments

• LM390 vs LM386.png
    LM390 vs LM386.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 133
I analyzed the original amplifier produced by an older "student" at ElecCircuit.com:
The two channels produce hardly any stereo separation and mono in both channels have them out-of-phase.

Attachments

• bridged stereo amplifier.png
    bridged stereo amplifier.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 121

I analyzed the original amplifier produced by an older "student" at ElecCircuit.com:
The two channels produce hardly any stereo separation and mono in both channels have them out-of-phase.
In other words, it's a useless circuit implemented with an unsuitable amplifier.

@Audioguru

I can confirm bridge with 9V supply and slightly lower drive yields a good
distortion number (see lower right result)....

1615485045945.png

Regards, Dana.

Ho Dana.
With the 9V supply, the bridged LM386 circuit is still overloaded producing too much heating instead of output power.

Your output level is higher than shown in a graph on the datasheet because the bridge causes the output current to be doubled then the losses in each IC are also doubled.
Your waveform shows a single amplifier (not a bridged amplifier) causing substantial even-harmonics distortion but actually the even harmonics are cancelled in a bridged amplifier causing the top and bottom of the waveform to be squashed which is odd-harmonics distortion.

Here is bridge with 100 mV of drive -

1615513488510.png

This shows low distortion. Power levels at chips still show too much chip power.

1615514694183.png

Note sims not complete design recommendations, they are to show, for configuration, what is going
onl. Nowhere yet has thermal design really been addressed. Sims do seem to help in establishing
max drive level to limit distortion. But the model is not considered real precise by the author.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• 1615514367442.png
    1615514367442.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

I have never tried a low power M386 but I have two amplifiers using the LM390 which is similar but it uses boostrapping and produces 1.1W at low distortion into 4 ohms when the supply is its max at 9V. Into 8 ohms the power with low distortion is 0.67W.

The LM386 produces only 0.3W into 4 ohms and only 0.45W into 8 ohms with low distortion when the supply is 9V.

Years ago I used a bridged and bootstrapped LM2896 dual amplifier IC to produce 4.0W at low distortion into 8 ohms with a 9V supply.

Thanks for that.
Any chance you could let me have the circuit details for your LM390 amp?
Regards,
Alistair

Google has trouble finding the latest datasheet so I looked at Digikey to see that they have thousands of LM390 ICs in stock and a price of $.75US for one. They also have the latest datasheet.
I used the circuit in the datasheet but I doubled the output capacitor value to 1000uF and doubled the bootstrap capacitor to 47uF for a better low frequency output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back