Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with OFDM:trouble with orthogonality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahamshubham

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to OFDM and I did not understand the concept of orthogonality being used in OFDM......
In OFDM, the channel is divided into bands with different carrier frequencies and these carrier frequencies are orthogonal to each other so they do not interfere with each other. How does this take place and what happens to orthogonality when the message signals are also dumped onto the carriers?
Please help.
(Even links would be a great option : simple mathematical approach would be highly appreciated)

don't get confused by the word "orthogonal".
Here's what happens in simpler (?) words ... and based on understanding of the Sinc function.

if you space the subcarriers from one another by any amount equal to the reciprocal of the symbol period of the data signals, the resulting sinc (sin x/x) frequency response curve of the signals is such that the first nulls occur at the subcarrier frequencies on the adjacent channels. The subcarriers all have an integer number of cycles within the symbol period. With this arrangement, the modulation on one channel won’t produce intersymbol interference (ISI) in the adjacent channels.

hope this helps

Thank you very much. I found your answer quite helpful but can I get a more mathematical proof kind of somewhere explaining it......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back