Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with choosing the appropriate wireless transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidb252

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to take data from a sensor and transmit it to the processing unit. I intend to use a wireless transceiver at both ends. The baud rate is 250-500 kbaud. The output signal from the sensor comes between -18 to 24V (extreme cases in either direction i.e. clockwise and counter clockwise) and the current is 130mA.

I came across CC1101 transceiver by TI. How effectively will it solve my problem? Are there any other options possible that I must explore?

Thanks

You have to provide more details on what wireless communication standard you are going to use. CC1101 is a sub 1GHz RF transceiver. There are others who also have similar ICs.
Are you looking to build the RF module yourself using these ICs or you want a ready module? If you would like to build your own module then CC1101 will be good, also check in Atmel, they too have good ICs.
If you want to use a ready module, then I suggest Digi International's products. They are easy to work with.

Hi ravindragudi,

I was looking at ETSI EN 300-220 standard for short range devices. And that's how I end up with CC1101 transceiver. But now I'd rather go with Digi International's Xbee module.

If I go with Xbee module will I be able to program it to high baud-rate so that I do not lose any data from the sensor? Also I am worried about sensor output current. I guess it would damage the module beyond repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.