Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help understanding LM3880 power sequencing chip

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
1696445026401.png

I am thinking of using a simple power sequencing chip from Ti, LM3880, to toggle the enable pins for a few voltage regulators. I posted the block diagram above. The chip's operation is quite simple. You toggle an enable pin and you get the following timing diagram for the three flags (outputs). On the left is the power up sequence, and the right power down.
1696445100424.png

I must be missing something crucial. Below is the recommended schematic. We are placing pull up resistors to the open drain outputs of the three flags (outputs). There is where my question lies. With no power to the LM3880, won't the open drain outputs be high impedance until a voltage is applied to the gate? Wouldn't this mean when Vcc is applied to the circuit, the flags would be pulled high by the pullups until the MOSFET turns on (has a votlage applied to its gate)? Clearly not, or TI wouldn't be saying so, what am I missing?
1696445241670.png

I had one other question. If one of the regulator's enable pin has a maximum rated voltage of the flag's output value. Could I simply use a voltage divider to drop the votlage to the regulators enable pin as below? The en pin draws 250uA according to the data sheet, seems ok?
1696446130690.png

Thanks in advance!

With no power to the LM3880
Here's the point:
In the shown diagram .. the input power is not removed.
--> the EN input controls the sequence.

And for sure you can use a voltage divider,
* or a zener to limit the voltage,
* or connect the pull up to the power supply (voltage) you like.

Klaus

These are all part of a SOC, can be used w/o using rest of chip, just for this
purpose (up to 32 DC/DC) :

1696466310068.png

Data sheets attached.

Lots of other stuff onchip, if you want I can post an abbreviated pic of those.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• PowerMonitor_v1_60.pdf
    621.8 KB · Views: 57
  • TrimMargin_v3_0.pdf
    644.6 KB · Views: 43
  • VoltageSequencer_v3_40.pdf
    987 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: