Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Help] Simple delay circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mywk

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone :)

What I'm trying to do: As soon as we have power, run the relay for a few seconds (adjustable by changing the Capacitor if I'm not wrong)

Note I'm not very familiar with electronics so I'm probably making a huge mistake here!

The version that works:
2d50b5cb0ba6f907864ffa040a455126.png

As soon as I click the button the LED stays on for 2 or 3 seconds.

Q: When I'm NOT pushing the button why does the multimeter shows 2V between the V+ and the Transistor Emitter?

The version that doesn't work:
0234e333654252d395bb22f6b8b9d7a7.png

Here multimeter shows 0V between the V+ and the Transistor Emitter and when i push the button something like 0.07V

Thanks In advance, I will greatly appreciate every explanation in order to improve and learn from my mistakes :)

Hey everyone :)

What I'm trying to do: As soon as we have power, run the relay for a few seconds (adjustable by changing the Capacitor if I'm not wrong)

Note I'm not very familiar with electronics so I'm probably making a huge mistake here!

The version that works:
2d50b5cb0ba6f907864ffa040a455126.png

As soon as I click the button the LED stays on for 2 or 3 seconds.

Q: When I'm NOT pushing the button why does the multimeter shows 2V between the V+ and the Transistor Emitter?

The version that doesn't work:
0234e333654252d395bb22f6b8b9d7a7.png

Here multimeter shows 0V between the V+ and the Transistor Emitter and when i push the button something like 0.07V

Thanks In advance, I will greatly appreciate every explanation in order to improve and learn from my mistakes :)

Your circuit is wrong in two points: 1. The transistor is reversed- the NPN transistor allows only collector to be connected to +5V.
2. To open the transistor for several seconds you must allow the base current to flow. It cannot flow through the capacitor as shown.
By now I think you have killed the transistor. Use a new one.

If you connect your NPN transistor correctly, emitter to ground and collector to +5V through the relay coil, then use a 5 K resistor from +5V to the base, and remake your circuit as follows: From +5V, connect first a trigger switch, then 1 kOhm resistor, then a 10 uF capacitor to ground. Use this capacitor as a source for the base current- connect the base resistor to the positive capacitor pin.Once you trigger the switch, it will charge the capacitor and open the transistor, thus the relay will hold for several seconds. Once the capacitor discharges, the transistor will shut down as well as the relay.
The hold time can be set by capacitor value and the 5K resistor. Do not use smaller than 5kOhm value. Use a relay with not more than 100 mA coil current at 5V, otherwise you will kill the transistor again.

Reactions: Mywk

Mywk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Actually I had it half way done, I messed up when making the first schematic.
If I only click the switch then release it, the transistor stays on after about 2 seconds, but this is not what I want.

The switch will be always ON (removed from schematic), what I want is: As soon as I have power I need that the transistor stays OFF for a few seconds, so it only triggers when the capacitor is fully charged.

-- Edit

I think I got it, now it takes about 5 seconds to start the transistor, thanks a lot for your help :)

e755be866917626d6eaa83d245f242fb.png

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back